Tanzania Media Fund
Tanzania Media Fund (TMF) stands for an independent, quality, diverse and vibrant media in Tanzania by enabling investigative and public interest journalism and facilitating critical reflection and learning. Our vision is one of an open society where all people can access information, debate issues and express their views.
Through our funding and learning activities, we seek to support quality journalism that better informs the public, contributes to debate and thereby increases public demand for greater accountability across Tanzania. We focus on investigative journalism and public interest journalism.
Investigative journalism involves uncovering the truth through in-depth research that otherwise would not become known. It involves careful fact finding, checking with different sources, analysis and good writing. Public interest journalism involves quality and thorough research on a topic that is of great importance or concern to ordinary people, particularly those who are poor or marginalised.
TMF offers individual journalists and media institutions the following:
- A competitive grant-making facility for individuals and institutions involved in media production (print, television, radio and new media). Rural coverage and gender equity are important, but not exclusive, focus areas.
- A tailor-made learning support for grantees through creating ideas, coaching, learning-by-doing, mentorship and networking.
Tanzania Media Fund is an initiative of a group of development partners in Tanzania. They include:
- Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC)
- UK’s Department for International Development (DFID)
- Irish Aid
- The Royal Danish Embassy
For the period June 2012 – May 2015, TMF manages a budget of 9.4 million USD. Operational costs represent approximately 20% of TMF’s total budget. The remaining 80% is earmarked for grants, learning and outreach. TMF has an average annual budget of 3.1 million USD.