TMF/EJC Young Journalists Fellowship
Are you in your final year or a recent graduate of journalism, mass communications or media studies? Are you passionate about challenges in your community and interested in raising awareness to the public and policy makers in order to influence change?Are you interested in being nurtured by leading media practitioners in the practical elements of journalism through exposure to a state of the art media lab? Would you like to be able to tell compelling stories that bring impact?
If your answer to the above questions is yes, Tanzania Media Foundation (TMF) would like to invite you to apply for the TMF/EJC Young Journalism Fellowship. The fellowship aims at supporting and nurturing young journalists coming from universities/ colleges and are interested in reporting community challenges that could lead to accountability.
The YJF Programme will equip them with practical skills to report compelling stories on Investigative Journalism (IJ), Public Interest Journalism (PIJ), Data Journalism, Cyber-security, business/ entrepreneurial and Digital media. Moreover, the programme will facilitate young journalists with skills and networks to use new/modern technologies in covering stories that would bring impact and attract accountability in the society.
TMF has partnered with the European Journalism Centre (EJC) an organisation based in the Netherlands to implement this fellowship. It is open to young vibrant journalists who are either currently in their final year or graduated from an accredited university or college in or after 2017.
Specific selection criteria include
- Demonstrated interest in community challenges and other issues of public concern that could trigger accountability from duty
- Demonstrable analytical, critical and comprehension skills.
- Interest in data journalism and digital media is an added advantage.
- Readiness to spend a period of up to six weeks on assignment away from home during the programme.
- Knowledge of English and Swahili.
- Professional commitment to practicing journalism and promoting media development as well as adherence to the highest levels
of integrity and ethics.
- Secure permission from their principals/editors/office to participate in the fellowship.
- Effective participation in the orientation programme.
- Participate in all field work and field trips.
- Participate in all master classes.
- Participate in peer review sessions between fellows and mentors.
- Produce a minimum of four (4) in-depth, well-researched, investigative, analytical and well packaged solution based stories.
- Weekly blogging to share personal reflections and field work experience.
- Attend all planned events as stipulated in the fellowship programme or as instructed by the fellowship coordinator.
Deadline of application: 31 August 2018